Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Pancake Day

It's pancake day. Pretty difficult to do anything meaningful with a knitted pancake, so I focused on the lemons. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to photograph a lemon?  I spent a lot of Sunday afternoon lying on my stomach on the landing where the light is best trying to photograph lemons.  It's only just occurred to me that I could have sliced some - it might have made it easier.  I used to have a lovely plate for setting out lemon slices, but a jackdaw came down the chimney and broke it.

Below is a pattern for the leaves. Knitted in perle cotton on 3.25mm needles.

Cast on 3 sts.
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: K1, p1, k1
Row 3: K1, *yon, k1 rep from *. (5 sts)
Row 4: K1, p3, k1
Row 5: K2, yon, k1, yon, k2. (7sts)
Row 6: K1, p5, k1
Row 7: K3, yon, k1, yon, k3. (9sts)
Row 8: K1, p7, k1
Row 9: knit
Row 10: K1, p7, k1
Row 11: K2, sl1, k1, psso, k1, k2 tog, k2
Row 12: K1, p5, k1
Row 13: K1, sl1, k1, psso, k1, k2 tog, k1
Row 14: K1, p3, k1
Row 11: sl1, K1, psso, k1, k2tog
Row 12: K1, p1, k1
Row 13: Sl1, k2tog, psso.
Cut yarn and pull through final stitch.

If you knit through the front of yarn over from the row below, you get a more solid effect (like the one below). If you knit through the back, you get a bit more of an eyelet effect.