Friday 13 April 2012

The Green and the White

Flowers of the Norway Maple
Because the flowers of the Norway Maple are usually up high, I hadn't really appreciated them before.  I only saw these because a branch had fallen and was still merrily flowering away.  This is a non-native tree in Britain and can tend to be invasive casting a dense shadow, shutting out native plants and flowers and reducing the diversity of the habitat.  In spite of all that it's now well out in flower and the bright green on the skyline is quite welcome.


Wild Cherry 
According to the Woodland Trust other names for Wild Cherry are :
  • Idath (Old Irish)
  • Crab Cherry
  • Hawkberry
  • Mazzard
  • Merry
  • Gean
White (or off-white) and green being one of my favourite colour combinations, I couldn't resist using this little bit of wild inspiration to try out another slip stitch for my collection.
Dotted Ladder Pattern
From Barbara G. Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns

0 comments: